Cold Weather Problems for Your Gate Operator and Their Solutions
Cold weather can cause some issues with your gate operators. These are some potential problems and solutions that might save you an invoice from your friendly gate repair man.
- Slower to open
- Consistently only opens after multiple attempts
- Movement is choppy or sporadic
- Squeaking or other new sounds
- Stays open, won’t close
Tips to remedy:
- Make sure your hinges, rollers and bearing surfaces are well greased.
- Disconnect cables from the battery. Clean corrosion, dirt, other debris from the ends of the cables as well as battery terminals.
- Check that your photo eye (and possible receiver) are free of obstruction. Remove leaves, snow, sleet, etc. We apply RainX https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-800002250-Glass-Treatment-Trigger/dp/B000BVRZ74 to help shed the water.
- If it still not working, it is likely time to check the battery. We like using Batteries Plus – https://www.batteriesplus.com/
- If you don’t have a photo eye, it is a required UL-325 safeguard against entrapment that we put on all new gate operators that we install (and recommend adding if we are asked to repair operators we have not installed).
- If your battery is over 2 years old, it is likely time for a new one.